The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

First Page | Prev Page | Next Page | Last Page
Entries 41 - 60 of 147


5/17/18: Sadly little Dolli passed today in her foster mom's arms. Dolli put up a good fight, but it was just too much for her little body. The vet thinks there was more going on inside but she was too small and weak for us to run any tests. Dolli passed away in my arms at 6 today. I want to thank everyone for all their prayers and support.

Top of page

RIP Little Sweet Pookie

4/24/18 Sweet, beautiful Pookie crossed over the Rainbow Bridge today. It was a sad day for United Yorkie Rescue. Today little Pookie in Florida lost her battle with Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis (GME). She fought a good battle and was a brave little soul. RIP Sweet Pookie. We just didn't get her in time to save her life. Pookie's foster moms Georgia and Ana and their families and everyone who knew Pookie are just devastated. Her foster families tried for months on end with many different medical protocols and chemotherapy to save her. Finally it was just to much for Pookie and she had a massive seizure. You will forever be remembered sweet, little girl.

Top of page


4/5/18: Sadly today we had to help Julian to the Rainbow Bridge. Here is what his foster mom wrote:

Despite all our efforts, we couldn't fix what was broken with sweet Jules. It kills my heart that people are so neglectful and cruel, and when we pick up their discards, and even if it's only for a month as it was for this sweet baby, that he wasn't able to have his furever home as he so deserved because of their inhumane actions.

Sweet Julian was only 6.5 years old and weighed around 5 lbs. He seemed to be in fairly good shape compared to his sister Helen who is also in our care. He had a cough, bad eyes, definitely needed a dental and of course a neuter, but those things seemed fixable. It was the following week and the week after that the true ills showed themselves. An x-ray showed Julian had a collapsing trachea that was the worst I have ever seen, but more so, he had the largest heart and lungs so scarred that they looked like a human with emphysema or chronic bronchitis. Very soon after that x-ray, Julian woke up lethargic. I rushed him to the vet and he was very dehydrated. Immediately fluids were pushed and each day the doctors worked to try to get his system in balance. Sadly, Jules went into heart failure; he could not stay infused and he went into kidney failure. His little body was going downhill each day and he was not going to win this battle. This afternoon, my heart broke to see him suffering, I knew it was time and I gave him to God.

Julian blessed us in the short little time we had with him. He loved to snuggle in the bed under the covers and he loved to cuddle up against my hubby's back. He loved my pack, he loved cats and he was the sweetest curious little boy. Although he will never have an earthly furever home, I'm sure his little eyes are finally seeing a beautiful place at the bridge and he is finally home. I love you my baby Jules...❤����

Top of page

Ozzie has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Sad news, we had to help Ozzie to the Rainbow Bridge on February 2, 2018. We think he was in the beginning of kidney failure and he had had a stroke in June of 2016 and made his back legs very weak. He could hardly walk but hung in there. He was a wonderful little guy, never complained about anything, easy come and go. He was just "THE BEST" little guy ever. Geoff and I want to thank United Yorkie Rescue for letting us be his parents, I loved every minute and would definitely do it again.

He was UYR's first liver shunt dog.

Top of page


3/10/18 Sadly we had to help sweet Paco to the Rainbow Bridge. In addition to all his various ailments (Cushings, prostate cancer), Paco's kidneys began to shut down. Paco's foster mom, after a few sleepless nights with him, got him to the vet today and a difficult decision was made to help him to the bridge.

Foster mom did a wonderful job with this poor boy who came to us with so many issues. She loved him dearly. RIP Paco and run free again,

Top of page


2/9/18: Our sweet foster girl, Baby, crossed the Rainbow Bridge on 2/9/2018. She came to live with our family in October 2017. We knew that she was not well at the time she came into our rescue. We went to the Veterinarian and Baby was diagnosed with severe liver disease and uncontrolled Cushing's disease. Baby was also deaf. Our vet said she has been sick for a very long time. We knew that we would need to be aggressive with her treatment. Baby did really well on her Cushing's medication for the first several months and her labs improved. We had a great fall and holiday season.

Baby loved taking car rides. Even though she could not hear she knew when it was time to take the girls to school, go to Sonic or visit Hobby Lobby for Christmas decorations. Several weeks ago, on a mild winter Saturday, Dad, Baby, human sis Ellie and doggie brother Tate all went to the dog park. Baby had so much fun. She galloped and barked and met new friends. It was a beautiful day that we will not forget.

Over the last couple of weeks Baby's health seemed to be declining. She just did not act like her usual self. We took her in to see the vet and he completed labwork, fluids and observation. After the labs came back the worse was realized, Baby's liver and kidney's were failing. The decline was rapid. The vet said had suffered to much damage to her liver. We made the decision to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge. Even though Baby was with us only a short time she was a blessing to our family. We are going to miss her so much.

Top of page


1/21/18 Sadly today sweet Poppa had to be helped to cross the bridge. He was suffering with bloody diarrhea, had a brain tumor and was suffering.

Top of page


1/10/18: Gizmo lost his breathing battle with an uncommon form of trachea stricture on January 10, 2018. Gizmo came into his UYR foster home a beloved pet of an elderly person in terms of food but not in good health. When foster parents first welcomed Gizmo into their home, he would not eat. It was discovered that he had a very serious gum infection and weight problem. (He weighed 13.4 pounds.) Despite his health issues, Gizmo was an fighter and enjoyed life. Gizmo responded well to the initial antibiotic treatment for his gum disease. He ate, played, and just enjoyed his new home. He went in for a much needed dental and had 9 teeth extracted. He was doing well, but it soon become apparent that he was having problems breathing. Poor little guy had a pneumonia and was treated for it. However, he still continued to gasp for breath. Foster parents rushed him to Blue Pearl in Louisville on December 30. He was put in an oxygen tent and slowly came around to breathing normal. The ER vet fell in love with Gizmo and vowed to do everything she could for him. He was given medication and seemed to be doing well. The internist, another vet who fell in love with the wonderful dog, at Blue Pearl worked with him to see exactly what could be done for Gizmo. Medication was the first option as an operation to insert stents was extremely risky. Sadly, this cute little gent continued to have breathing issues. He was rushed to Blue Pearl on January 10 at 3:30 AM. He responded to the oxygen tent treatment, but several hours later started to crash. It was with great sadness to lose Gizmo. He so loved to give his foster Dad kisses and lay in his lap for belly rubs. Foster Dad was the "Gizmo Whisperer". There was a special bond between Gizmo and foster Dad, and he is greatly missed.

Top of page

Rest in Peace sweet girl. You were loved

1-4-18 Pixie came to her foster home on Saturday December 30th. She had spent a week in the shelter waiting for her family to come get her. They never did, but United Yorkie Rescue did. We knew she needed a dental very badly. Her mouth was very infected and her breath was awful. She had to be hurting badly. While she was in her foster home before her dental she was loved and cuddled. She slept in the bed next to her foster mom and enjoyed being with a family once again. On Tuesday she went to the vet to receive her much needed dental. She lost 28 teeth and had a bad mouth infection indicated by her blood work. Poor Pixie, she slept the rest of the day on Tuesday. By Wednesday when she should have been getting better she wasn't. She slept and wouldn't eat not matter what was tried. She just wasn't getting better. Nothing was helping, not the antibiotics or the pain medication. She refused to eat and just wouldn't perk up. Wednesday night she slept fitfully. Her foster mom knew she needed to go back to the vet first thing Thursday morning. At 6:00 her foster mom carried her into the kitchen to see if she wanted some water, she drank a tiny bit. Pixie walked into the bedroom and lay down in the doggie bed. Two hour later when her mom got up to take her to the vet she had passed over the Rainbow Bridge to the other side. Her foster parents are heartbroken. The dental was just too much for her, the infection had spread too far, and her little heart couldn't take it. The extent of the damage to her mouth, teeth, and gums were just too severe for this little girl. We wanted so much to help her and to save her, but we were too late. The damage was already done. Pixie knew love and warmth for a few days. We only wish it could have been for a few years. RIP sweet girl, we are so sorry we didn't get you in time.

Top of page


Abby (OhLaLa) Rucci June 26, 2004 - December 20, 2017

Abby was a sweet and beautiful little girl. We adopted Abby and her half-brother Cameron in the Spring of 2005 when we moved to St. Mary's City, MD. Both Cameron and Abby were retired show dogs. Abby was a bit "tubby" and there was never a meal that she turned down. She loved to run up and kiss on her older brother and pounce on him while he was napping in the sun. Whenever he was out of the room and came back, she would run up and kiss him, then turn up her nose and ignore him. Abby loved two blue and red toys we called her babies, the only toys she ever touched. After Abby ate dinner each night, she would prance around the room with one of her babies in her mouth showing off. If anyone picked up a camera, she would immediately drop her baby and stare at the photographer indignantly. The only other thing she would play with is the hands or feet of anyone who dared walk barefoot by her...this prompted her immediate mock attack. She loved to have her belly rubbed, to bark at the squirrels in the yard and rile up her brother. We miss her dearly.

Top of page


12/1/17: Sweet Chase has gone to the bridge. My first foster with UYR, Chase was adopted out once and was returned due to the husband just not "liking" him and then adopted out again to the most amazing family in September. Sadly he had to be put down two weeks ago. He stopped eating, began coughing and was throwing up. They took X-rays and found out he had multiple tumors in his stomach and in his chest. The one in his chest caused a partially collapsed lung. This was a very quick moving cancer and there was no signs of anything being wrong even in blood tests done with his vetting while in my care. My heart is broken I miss him terribly and I'm so devastated for the family I adopted him out to. I spoke with his vet and they said this type of cancer can't be stopped or slowed. And it wouldn't show any symptoms until it's too late. I feel horrible, I feel like I failed him and them. I just wish things ended differently. �� R.I.P. my sweet sweet boy.

Top of page


11/6/17: Sadly we had to help Marley to the Rainbow Bridge tonight. He had gotten into his foster mom's purse and ingested some Advil capsules which are fatal. He was vomiting and had seizures, very unstable on his feet. Despite rushing him to the ER, there was little that could be done to save him. He was such a small dog and had eaten too much of the pain killer to be saved. Rest in Peace sweet Marley...your foster mom loved you with all her heart and you will be very much missed.

Top of page

RIP sweet boy
Rocky G

11/3/17 It is with great sadness that we have to share that little Rocky G. crossed over the rainbow bridge this morning. He had surgery for an enucleation and it was just too much for his little body. He experienced some trauma from the surgery and he wasn't able to recover from the stress of the surgery. RIP little guy. Your foster mommy loved you very much and you will be greatly missed. All of United Yorkie Rescue is heartbroken.

The first thing Rocky's foster mom thought when she rescued him from the animal shelter in March 2016 was that he was the saddest, most pathetic looking dog she had ever seen. His coat was serenely matted, his nails were long and overgrown, he was dirty and smelled pretty bad. He has periodontal disease and he would need a dental right away. But the worst was his eyes. He was most likely blind or blind in one eye. He has severe dry eye and the infection from his mouth is not helping the infection in his eyes. Rocky's foster mom and United Yorkie Rescue took wonderful care of Rocky. And gave him all the care and love he needed. Though he never was adopted, that was okay. He was well cared for and loved for all the days he was with us.

Top of page


March 30, 2018 Post script to original entry

It's still hard to walk past Roxy's favorite place to sit and not glance down to see if she is there. Sweet little Roxy crossed the Rainbow Bridge last November, and took a chunk of my heart with her. She was my little forever ours baby who loved everyone she met. I smile when I think of the day I went to the shelter to pick her up. She came into the lobby a bundle of wiggly fluff, not weighing more than three pounds. It was amazing how happy she was even though her little body was riddled with ten tumors. She became a forever ours when several of those were found to be cancerous. I'll never understand why people let their pets get to that condition, but it didn't break her spirit, and I was blessed to be her person for another two years. Roxy loved be be carried around, but wasn't a lap dog. As a result, she was carried! Anywhere she wanted to go! Since she wasn't crazy about the grass, or able to walk very far, we took our walks in her own special stroller. She loved being outside! I miss this little girl, but I know she's at peace.

11/2/17 Sadly, sweet Roxy had to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge. Roxy had begun to lose her appetite and some weight as a result. She was seen by her vet to determine what might be wrong and he noticed that her pupils were uneven and she was unsteady on her feet. In addition, she had a lump on her chest that they worried was a return of the cancer she had. Over the last 24 hours, Roxy had increasing discomfort, balance problems and the head tilt that seemed to indicate neurological problems. She was taken back to the vet this morning and the consensus was that she either had a stroke or developed a brain tumor. The right course of action was to help her to the Bridge, which her foster mom lovingly did for her. Rest in Peace Roxy...you were much loved and will be very much missed.

Top of page

Babi is a very sick little girl.

Babi receiving care at the clinic.


It is with much sadness that we have to share, little Babi did not make it. She was just too sick. She has improved a little this morning and then during the day, even with around the clock veterinary care she kept declining. She was struggling to breathe as her upper lungs filled with fluid, she was diagnosed with a heart murmur, and she never fully revived neurologically from the very high toxic kidney levels. It was just too much for her little body to handle. We have some solace knowing she passed in loving arms and not on a cold table in the shelter.

United Yorkie Rescue thanks everyone who sent her their love and prayers, and made a donation to her care. We tried, the vets tried, and even Babi tried, it was just more than her little body could bare.

RIP little one, we didn't have you long, but we loved you still.

Top of page


10/11/17 Sadly sweet Primrose passed this morning at home. She will be missed by her foster mom and dad.

Top of page

Rest In Peace Angel


Very sad news to report. Sweet Georgia, the puppy with suspected liver shunt has crossed the bridge. The Vet called and her liver and kidneys were failing and her abdomen and lungs were filling with fluid. They tried everything to turn her around but she was just too weak. She fought long and hard but in the end it was just too much for this angel and this afternoon she gained her wings. We are devastated as we know all who supported her with prayers and donations are too. It seems insensitive to discuss the need for donations at this time but even in our sadness we must pay for the $3000 worth of care she received trying to save her life so we are leaving her fundraiser open for a few days. If you can help us an honor the life of this sweet soul with even the smallest amount we'd be very grateful. Rest In Peace beautiful, sweet Georgia. You were loved by many.

Top of page

CA Toby

9/14/17: Sadly today we had to help sweet Toby to the bridge. Toby originally came to UYR with a suspected liver shunt. However that wasn't his problem. He was weak and small for his age and lethargic. Numerous tests were run and it was ultimately diagnosed as Fanconis disease, a condition that is very rare and one in which most vets, even specialty vets are not sure how to treat. In addition to this disease, he apparently had either a blocked ureter or his ureter to his kidney wasn't located were it should be. He was scheduled for kidney surgery on 9/19 but since last week started refusing his prescription food and medication for the Fanconis. His foster mom cooked for him, tried baby food, had him into the vet for fluids and even resorted to force feeding, he was not doing well.

Yesterday, Toby took a serious turn for the worse. He was now refusing to drink and hadn't urinated overnight. When he did try to drink he ended up vomiting. Foster mom called the vet and got him there as soon as was possible. The vet indicated little Toby was in a lot of stress and pain. His bladder was full but he was unable to pee. His gums were white. Because of all his other problems, and his current condition, we together made the difficult decision to let him go.

Foster mom sat with him a very long time, holding him in her arms. She talked to him, sang to him, told him about Rainbow Bridge where he would no longer be in pain and would run and jump and frolic like the puppy he was never able to be. She told him he would meet her Buddy and Max, and they would show him the ropes. His passing was very peaceful, and she held him afterward for a very long time. He knew how much he was loved.

We really want to thank all of the wonderful people who donated to help with his care. We are so grateful for all of you. Unfortunately, this outcome was not what we expected. This poor boy had such a rare disease, and so many issues, his time on earth was not meant to be long. However, we know that he left a big paw print on so many hearts because so many others followed his sad story. Thank you to all who helped us try to help him.

Top of page


05/28/2917: It's a sad day in United Yorkie Rescue. Sweet little Baby has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Baby passed last night peacefully in his sleep. His foster mom and dad are heartbroken and with eyes leaking they have laid him to rest. Baby beat all the odds and lived longer than anyone expected. That is in part due to the wonderful care he received and because Baby had a spirit and a will to live that far surpassed his 3 little pounds. He lived every minute of his life to the fullest and never gave up. Finally his little body had enough, it was getting harder and harder for him to breath, and at the age of 13 it was time to let go. Baby will be missed greatly by his foster mom and dad, his two fur sisters, and the resident parrot who would call out his name all the time. RIP little one. You were very loved and will be very missed.

Top of page

Ally Cat

5/27/17: Ally came into UYR in July 26, 2014. She was surrendered by her owner at 10 years old. Ally was a precious little girlie who wrapped her paws around her Foster Mom's heart and didn't let go Ally was subsequently adopted by her Foster Mom.

Ally went to the Rainbow Bridge on 05/27/2017. Below is what her Mom wrote about her little angel....

A few years ago I was able to adopt one of our fosters Ally. She came to us with an abdomen tight as a drum and crying. she had over 50 bladder stones and a severe uterine infection. She also had asthma which progressed to severe COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). She tolerated nebulizer treatments like a champ and survived well beyond the vets expectations. Her fight ended yesterday as she lay in my lap looking at me as she went to Rainbow Bridge

Top of page