SUMMER 2016 UPDATE FROM THE BOARD
Summer has arrived and we are almost at 100 adoptions so far this year! With that in mind, we would like to share with you the Top 10 reasons to adopt your next pet, in case “because it's the right thing to do" isn't enough. (Adapted from the Humane Society of the United States www.humanesociety.org)
1. Because you will save a life-Over 2 million adoptable cats and dogs are euthanized each year in the US. This number could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. When you adopt, you save your animal and open up space for another animal who might need it.
2. Because you’ll get a great animal-Animal shelters and rescue groups are brimming with happy, healthy pets just waiting for someone to take them home. Most shelter pets ended up there because of a human problem like a move or a divorce, not because the animal did anything wrong.
3. Because you’ll get a great deal-When you adopt a pet, the cost of the spay/neuter, vaccinations, and overall vetting is included in the adoption fee, which means you you’ve scored a better bargain than paying thousands of dollars to a breeder or even more for a designer dog at a pet store.
4. Because of bragging rights-No one needs another selfie-unless it’s a selfie of you with the adorable Yorkie you just rescued. You’ll look like a hero and then you can let the love (likes) roll in!
5. Because it’s one way to fight puppy mills-You’re too smart to get a dog from a pet store or online seller since these dogs come from puppy mills, which are "factory style" breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of dogs. Animals from puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor conditions with improper medical care, and are often very sick and behaviorally troubled as a result. The moms of the puppies are kept in cages to be bred over and over for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever joining a family. And after they're no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded—either killed, abandoned or sold at auction. Most puppies in pet stores and sold online come from puppy mills. The dogs are sold to unsuspecting consumers in pet stores, over the Internet and through classified ads. Puppy mills will continue to operate until people stop supporting them. By adopting a pet, you can be certain you aren't giving them a dime.
6. Because your decor will thank you-Some rescued Yorkies are already house trained, which means you are not only saying a pet’s life, you may be saving your rug too!
7. Because all pets are good for your health, but an adopted pet is good for your self-esteem-Not only do animals give you unconditional love, but they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally and physically beneficial. Caring for a companion animal can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment and lessen feelings of loneliness and isolation in all age groups. And when you adopt, you can also feel proud about helping an animal in need.
8. Because you’re environmentally responsible-You recycle your paper and plastic so it doesn’t end up in landfills, and you know that recycled materials make all sorts of things. A “recycled” pet can make something even better: They can make you happy.
9. Because there are many websites that will make it super easy to find your next adoptable pet-We like Petfinder.com. If you can’t find what you are looking for at United Yorkie Rescue, go to www.petfinder.com to find pets near you, of every size, color, temperament and breed.
10. Because you’ll change a homeless animal’s whole world-And get a new best friend in the bargain. Seriously, what could be better than that?
Check out our adoptable pups on Looking for Love to find your perfect companion. If you are interested in adopting a dog not located in your state, please note that we do not ship dogs via air cargo. Out of state transport guidelines are explained on our online adoption request form.
Can you imagine forcing your pet dog to live his or her entire life in a small wire cage with no human companionship, toys, or comfort, and little hope of ever becoming part of a family? That is what life is like for a puppy mill breeding dog. Help us stop this cycle of cruelty that contributes to pet overpopulation and the suffering of countless dogs by adopting your next pet. There are many places you can adopt your next pet, such as an animal shelter, humane society, or a rescue organization. Click on our Looking for Love link and check out all the beautiful Yorkies in our foster program. If you don't see what you are looking for, we recommend visiting www.petfinder.com. You might be surprised to see all the pets available in your area. Remember: Adopt, Don't Shop!
United Yorkie Rescue
UYR is in need of foster homes. We have many more requests for surrender than we can handle. If you would like to become a UYR foster person, please, fill out a "Volunteer Application."
Video of little Henry's recovery! This is just one of the miracles our foster moms perform everyday.
UYR could not continue to rescue Yorkies in need without the help of our donors. To date we have rescued: 2,639 Yorkies and Yorkie mixes. Our vetting costs to date are: $1,435,000!!
Any amount is truly needed and appreciated. A $5.00 donation allows us to purchase Heartworm prevention for a month for a rescue. For $30.00 we can rescue a Yorkie from a shelter that would otherwise be put to sleep. Won't you please consider joining the list of donors on our page to help us continue to save our beloved breed?
If you would like to make a donation to our organization, please use the following PayPal button! Or, send a check to our treasurer at the address below the Paypal button. We are an approved 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax-deductible. IRS rules for Donors
C/O Carl Sullenberger, Treasurer UYR
3924 Miami Avenue
Lorain, OH 44053
Just click on the iGive Logo
Have questions? email@example.com
If you need to surrender your Yorkie or mix, please, use this link "Request To Surrender Form" to contact to contact a UYR representative. Please complete this form in its entirety, including a photo if possible. A representative will be in contact with you as soon as possible to make arrangements or refer you to another rescue if we do not have members in your area.
Read about Ozzie, our first liver shunt pup, on the Yorkie Tales page. See a happy ending to a serious medical condition. Your donation can make a BIG difference.
Look us up on GuideStar, a national clearinghouse for non-profits.
FOREVER OURS - 09/01/2011
As of April 2016, UYR currently has 10 Yorkies in the Forever Ours Program. These 10 pups will remain with UYR for the rest of their lives. They receive vetting care as needed and this care is provided by UYR and your donations.
Total cost of vetting to date for our 10 Forever Ours Yorkies is: $30,079!! Donations for our Forever Ours pups is $16,240 which leaves us with a shortfall on these pups of $13,840.
We are happy to say that more than half of these costs have been covered by donations for the special little ones. Donations for each one are still needed to have money available for their continuing care needs.
We are always looking for people who would be interested in being a 'Sponsor' to one or more of our Forever Ours Yorkies! As a sponsor you will become a cherished person in this dog's life.
You would receive communications about your sponsored pup and your name would appear in their story on the Forever Ours page. If you are interested please contact Carl Sullenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Please, visit our Forever Ours page!!!
In Lieu Donation - 08/11/2007
We have had many requests for a way to make a donation to UYR in lieu of gifts for family and friends on birthdays and other special occasions. We listened and have designed a special card that we'll send to your loved one. Please, be sure to include to whom and what you're designating the donation.
To make this thoughtful gift, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make any donation, use the Paypal button below, or mail a check to:
United Yorkie Rescue: In Lieu
C/O Carl Sullenberger, Treasurer UYR
3924 Miami Avenue
Lorain, OH 44001
We appreciate the overwhelming generosity of our donors! The members and Yorkies of UYR say THANK YOU!!!